Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hannibal is My New Favorite Show

*Delicious Spoilers Ahead*

So...I'm a Fannibal

I knew this was going to happen and I tried to resist it. When the promos for Hannibal first started airing I was like "Yessss this looks good!" I started watching it, but for some reason when I got to the episode (1x06) where Abel Gideon is first introduced I got super squeamish. I guess it was the fact that Abel Gideon  blinds a woman by pressing his thumbs into her eyes. *Still Shuddering* So there was this long period where I put off watching the show. I mean loved everything else: the characters, the acting, the writing, and yeah I could just keep going. 

Anyways, a couple of weeks back I started getting spoiled on the internet and by my brother and there are only a few things I hate more than being spoiled, so I re-started Hannibal, gory scenes and all. Though I will admit that I had to turn away from the screen in that episode (2x02) where the guy rips himself out of the dead human mural and then jumps to his death, and I almost threw up when Will remembers Hannibal stuffing Abigail Hobbs' ear down his throat. Yeah, the show is totally gruesome and not for the weak-stomached. I find the character interactions more interesting than the disturbing crime scenes anyway.

                         

I think my favorite aspect of this show is Hannibal's role as both a friend to Will and a kind of consultant to the FBI. I like the whole killer-right-under-our-noses feeling and Hannibal is absolutely sinister in that role as he toys with everyone around him. But poor Will Graham, our main protagonist is the one who gets the brunt of Hannibal's mind games, ending up in jail at the end of season 1 for Hannibal's crimes. Hannibal's creepiness is accentuated by the fact that his motivation is just idle curiosity and as he later claims he was just "curious what would happen". Though right up till Will's incarceration, Hannibal tries his darndest to be Will's BFF, which would be pretty adorable if you can ignore the fact that Hannibal is a cannibal who is framing his supposed friend (Will) to take the fall for his own crimes. Despite that, I still love Will and Hannibal's scenes! Whether the two are friends, or at odds or creepily enough killing buddies their scenes together are always captivating. I was a little worried that the writers were going to make Will irreparably dark.

I still can't get over the Season 2 finale. Even though I had been spoiled I was still surprised to see how everything went down! Will sets everything into motion by calling Hannibal and saying "They know" (Just like Hannibal called Garrett Jacob Hobbs in the pilot episode!!!). Hannibal basically dispatches all of the main characters in the last 10 minutes of the episode: Jack, Alanna, Will and even Abigail Hobbs who returns from the dead. This is one of those finale where the spoiler: "Everyone Dies" rings true. Who lives? Who dies? I'll have to wait several painful months to find out! AGHGHHHHHH! One thing about the episode though: why did it take so long for the police and ambulance to get to the scene? Jack and Hannibal's fight scene is fast-paced and brutal. Alanna is pushed out the window by a confused and scared Abigail. I thought Hannibal's treatment of Will was especially tragic. He guts Will and then proceeds to kill Abigail right in front of him as punishment for betraying him. Hannibal walks off leaving his home filled with people in various stages of dying all at his hand. A super dismal finale, but totally fitting as the show is about a cannibalistic psychiatrist.
                   


No comments:

Post a Comment