Saturday, November 29, 2014

Why it took me so long to watch Teen Wolf...

* Spoilers up to the Season 3 Finale*


My hesitance to watch the show was primarily because of its name: Teen Wolf. I couldn't justify watching anything with the word teen, despite my little cousin's insistence that it was really good and not teenybopper-ish at all. Even though the show seemed to be right up my alley (werewolves!!!) I was adamant not to get ensnared by a high school drama. So I steered clear of Teen Wolf, which was kinda hard because Sterek (I'll get to this later) is all over the internet. It's true, boredom can make a person do many things, and it just so happens that I got sick this Thanksgiving break. No school + being sick = many, many hours of watching TV, but unfortunately...all my shows were on a mini hiatus = ME: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The lure of the werewolves got to be too much and I gave in...


So I guess that's how I started watching Teen Wolf, and you know what, it ain't half bad. Actually I quite like it :) Goodness, I sound as if I've been brainwashed, which I guess is possible since I've watched three seasons in the past five days. I actually feel a little crazed and erratic also...probably due to all the radioactive wavelengths or something. Actually, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I could seriously do a PSA about the dangers of binge-watching TV shows. Dark circles under your eyes? Disoriented? Can't discern reality from fiction? Turn off that TV and call 1-800-NOMORETV (this is not a real number).

Okay, enough about my mental state. The show itself starts out predictably enough: nerdy boy gets bit by a werewolf, nerdy boy likes the new hot girl, nerdy boy makes the team because of his werewolf powers, in this case the lacrosse team (I really do not get the point of lacrosse), nerdy boy is not so nerdy anymore (he is werewolf boy now), werewolf boy goes out with hot new girl, werewolf boy has werewolf-related problems that he has to figure out by the end of the season. Teen Wolf is a nice mixture of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the dark humor, the sarcasm, the usage of reoccurring secondary characters, such as the parents, the Coach, etc.) and The Vampire Diaries (the epic, forbidden love, the whole "I can't control my blood lust").

More than the main character Scott, I actually like Stiles, the sarcastic best friend.

I like the whole werewolf mythology the show has laid out. A couple of things are different: silver is useless against werewolves, the real kryptonite is wolfsbane, and a werewolf can turn whenever, no full moon necessary (though the urge to turn is the strongest during the full moon). I'm loving the abundance of bromances on the show; literally every guy is in at least one (This is where Sterek comes in). Lydia and Allison's friendship progresses in the later seasons as well. The only bad part I can think of is that the cast keeps changing, and some of the new additions aren't quite as good as the original cast (I still miss Jackson and I'm gonna miss Isaac because apparently he's not coming back after the third season.) 

The second half of the third season was probably my least favorite story arc. That's probably because the focus was on kitsunes and nogitsunes instead of werewolves. Though it wasn't all bad, it was through season 3b that I realized that Dylan O'Brien (Stiles) is a freaking awesome actor! The Big Bad of the season, the Nogitsune, possesses Stiles and proceeds to do some very evil bad guy stuff. O'Brien totally pulls off the splintered double personality. Evil!Stiles is completely sinister and almost maniacal. It is heartbreaking to see Good!Stiles trying to hold on to himself. I'm kinda disappointed to see Evil!Stiles go, but at the same time I'm glad the kitsune and nogitsune story line is wrapped up. 


Yeah, so this post was all over the place but you get the gist: I like Teen Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment